Jim Tuttle – Mount Dora Historic Inn
Recipe type: Entree
- ⅔ pound linguini-2/3 box; although, fresh pasta is better (cook accordingly)
- 1 gallon salted water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta or slab bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon diced garlic
- ⅓ cup white wine (Pinot Grigio or white Italian table wine)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 3 egg yolks
- Start salted water in a large pasta pot over medium-high heat-do not burn the water
- Add the oil and pancetta to a large sauté pan over low heat. Cook the pancetta (or, bacon) until crisp, being careful not to burn it, about 5 minutes-set aside.
- In a separate sauté pan use two tablespoons of pan drippings and sauté the garlic for one to two minutes (lightly brown-do not burn the garlic).
- Add the wine, cream and black pepper. Cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon allow to cool for 10 minutes stirring occasionally
- Drop the linguini into salted water (2 teaspoon for 1 gallon of water)-do not add oil to water-and cook until very al dente (about 7 minutes with dry pasta)
- Special tip: keep stirring pasta for the first two to three minutes to prevent pasta from sticking together-never use oil for this purpose.
- Special tip: if you use oil to keep pasta from sticking you also prevent the sauce from marrying with the pasta-it just slides right off-where’s the flavor?
- Add pasta straight from the boiling salted water drain slightly-do not rinse-and toss with pancetta for 1 minute over low heat
- While pasta and pancetta are finishing, combine cream mixture, and egg yolks together in a small bowl
- Pour egg and cream over pasta and half of the Pecorino Romano cheese, remove from heat and toss well-be careful not to break the pasta
- Immediately transfer to serving dish, top with remaining cheese and enjoy
- As you cook this dish, for years to come, you will figure out that you can use one sauté pan for easier clean up. To keep it simple, however, I did recommend two.
- Note: you cannot burn water